Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Trying to track down a car #2943
    PJS
    Keymaster

    Hello,

    I’ve checked the club’s records and I’m afraid I can find no trace of this car. That’s not to say it’s not still around – it’s just not known to us as having been owned by a member.

     

    in reply to: Brake Bleeding my bleeding brakes #2801
    PJS
    Keymaster

    Your theory about the cap on your brake bleeding kit is almost certainly correct, and it may well continue to leak, though I’ll stand corrected if any ‘Counties’ member has successfully used such a kit.

    Assuming there’s no fault with the master cylinder or slave cylinders, I don’t see why the manual method of brake bleeding wouldn’t work (using a tube with a non-return valve attached to the bleed nipple). You’d probably use more brake fluid to do it, and you’d need two people, but on the positive side you’d end up flushing the whole system through with clean fluid. Even starting with a completely empty system you could still bleed the brakes in this manner.

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by PJS.
    in reply to: Non Starting Query #2775
    PJS
    Keymaster

    Hello Paul,

    Glad to hear you got it started, which I would say confirms it as having been converted to -ve earth. One of the advantages is that -ve earth cars rust less due to a property known as cathodic protection. A positively charged body, and salt on the roads in winter, are a pretty corrosive mixture!

    As for the ammeter, its possible that it has simply been disconnected rather than reversed. It would be worth following the wires to it to see where they go if you can.

    in reply to: Non Starting Query #2769
    PJS
    Keymaster

    Hello Paul,

    Have you done all the usual basic ignition tests – e.g. take off a plug lead and (holding it with a thick cloth or insulating gloves!) hold it near the block whilst turning the engine to see if you are getting a spark?

    As far as the car being negative earth is concerned, it may have been converted from positive to negative earth – though most aren’t. Given that you’ve connected it the negative way around, and assuming that the ammeter had been reversed to accommodate a previous change, then you should see the voltage drop when you turn the ignition on. If it has not been converted (and therefore the ammeter not reversed) you would see the voltage go up (from a mid-point of zero) when you tun the ignition on.

    Does the car have a modern radio? This is sometimes a telltale that a car has been converted from +ve to -ve earth.

    Other than that, if you’re sure that the carburettor bowl has petrol (and that it is fresh fuel – it does degrade over time), and that you have a decent spark, then the only other possible issue is ignition timing.

    in reply to: A40 Somerset, flywheel mounting bolts #2767
    PJS
    Keymaster

    Steve, We use the very popular WordPress platform for our site – it’s by a very long way the world’s most widely-used content management software, having about 54% of the potential coverage of such sites. It’s continuously updated and improved, has hundreds of thousands of options- and better still, it’s completely free!

    Within that we use the bbPress plugin for our forums – again, very widely used.

    I’ve added a tweak that allows for images to be uploaded in posts and in replies to posts. I’d meant to do this when I recently redesigned the site, and I’ve now done it.

    in reply to: Morris commonalities? #2621
    PJS
    Keymaster

    I would estimate that there are few, if any, commonalities between the two. There may be some Lucas parts that are common (I can’t think of any off the top of my head), and from the manufacturer’s point of view the merger between Austin and Morris into BMC didn’t take place until the very end of the ‘Counties’ era, some time after the design of the last ‘Counties’ vehicle.

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by PJS.
    in reply to: Air filter #2605
    PJS
    Keymaster

    Hello Mike,
    The air filter is only supposed to have a limited amount of mesh in it – it isn’t stuffed full of it. The idea is that you dip the exposed part of the mesh in a bath of oil and wipe off the excess, the oil then catching impurities in the air.

    If your filter is in particularly poor condition, it might be that the club’s used spares representative Graham Potts may have a better one in our stock of used spares. However he won’t be able to get to most of these until the current lockdown conditions are relaxed.

    in reply to: loosening wings #955
    PJS
    Keymaster

    Hello,

    Ray Dawes (Spares sec.) has some front screen seals – he may have rear ones too.

    in reply to: Austin 16 rear lamps. #953
    PJS
    Keymaster

    Hello,

    I’ll get you some photos of the rear lights on my Sixteen – hopefully tomorrow. That should explain all!
    Pete S.

    in reply to: Prep for respraying #917
    PJS
    Keymaster

    I’m not an expert in painting, but I should think that you might want to at least a coat or two of primer – you’ll probably end up sanding this back as part of the later preparation process, but it will at least keep rust away – and rust will be harder to get back to a decent finish later on.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)