Log in to Forums
- @alex_house Please try the email for Peter Simmonds on the 'Contact Us' page. email@example.com 12:36:24 PM May 17, 2016 from Twitter Web Client in reply to alex_house ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @alex_house Contact us via the club's website ( https://t.co/K2iAPLFJF7 ) and we will be more than happy to try and help. 11:19:24 AM May 17, 2016 from Twitter Web Client in reply to alex_house ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @POLcomheritage Just to confirm, the Pride of Longbridge rally is definitely cancelled, as would like to avoid unnecessary travel? Thanks! 06:58:34 AM April 16, 2016 from Twitter Web Client in reply to POLcomheritage ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @AustinCounties first day at the @practicalclassicsrestoration show https://t.co/ca3BglT0xE 10:18:35 AM March 05, 2016 from Twitter for iPhone in reply to AustinCounties ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Eve of the Practical Classics Restoration at the NEC. Come see our stand in Hall 9 stand 465! 09:21:04 PM March 04, 2016 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ClassicMotorNEC: Our sister show @NECRestoShow is in FIVE weeks! Get advance tickets here: https://t.co/z2aTMJikoc #ClassicCars https:/… 07:28:39 PM February 15, 2016 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ClassicMotorNEC: Hey #BrumHour. 5 & 6 March Our sister show @NECRestoShow comes to #Birmingham Tickets here: https://t.co/z2aTMJikoc ht… 09:45:39 PM January 30, 2016 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Final day for the ACCC stand @ClassicMotorNEC https://t.co/XicMaXwYTE 11:25:37 AM November 15, 2015 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Getting busier on the ACCC stand 4-592 @ClassicMotorNEC https://t.co/V7eLP2DSsO 01:04:26 PM November 14, 2015 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Lots of interest in @davewhy A40 Sports here at #NECClassic https://t.co/COHYhlofAV 11:55:15 AM November 14, 2015 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
Calendar of Posted Items
Please check out the ‘Club Events’ page for a reminder about the club’s 2019 Annual Rally.
Yet Another NEC Success!
At the weekend’s ‘Practical Classics’ Classic Car Restoration Show at Birmingham’s NEC, our PR Representative and Stand Organiser Alastair While once again found favour with the judges who awarded the club ‘Best Club Display at Show – Small Stand‘
Below – Alastair with the trophy – congratulations!
Another Lancaster Insurance Classic Car Show at Birmingham’s NEC has come and gone, and once again the club’s stand designer and PR Rep Alastair While has come up trumps – winning the Classic and Sportscar Magazine’s ‘Best Themed Club Stand’ award.
This is the 7th award the club has won at the show over the years, which is now billed as ‘The World’s Largest Gathering of Classic Vehicle Clubs’, with over 300 clubs attending.
Of these 7 awards, 4 have been won by Alastair for his creative and much-admired efforts – we believe that’s a record amongst car clubs, and is all the more remarkable as it has been achieved by a club entirely run by volunteers.
A full report on the show will be in the Jan/Feb 2019 issue of ‘County Counsel’ but in the meantime – many thanks and congratulations go to Alastair.
Spares Secretary Ray Dawes has asked that members’ attention is drawn to a supplier of parts for the A40s of our era, some of which are cheaper than he can obtain them for – in particular remanufactured dashboard knobs (see picture below).
The company is called Old Era Services and their website can be found at http://www.oldera.com.au/austin-a40/
Spares Secretary Ray Dawes has now updated the club’s Spares Booklet, to reflect our current range of spares available to members.
A printed copy of the updated list will be delivered to members with the next magazine – which is currently at the printer for distribution.
To order spares, please complete a spares order form.
I was recently advised by our supplier that the manufacturer (the only one known) of A40 head gaskets, has advised that that the tooling for making these is beyond its serviceable use and they will therefore not supply any more. They also declined to make new tooling.
Together with the supplier we have now commissioned new tooling and an initial order from an overseas supplier. We were unable to find any alternative to this for a copper and board gasket. This has resulted in a considerable investment by the club.
The price of the copper and board gasket (1A180) from 1st November 2016 will be £30 each to club members.
A number of members have written about the success they have had with solid copper head gaskets.
We have now also had a small batch of these made. They are made from soft copper and are ready to fit. I am also advised that they can be reused after removing from the engine provided that they are annealed before refitting. They have been made by a water jet cutting process so are accurate and have nice clean edges.
It may be possible to torque these down higher value than the normal 40ft/lb value, say 5 to 10 ft/lb more. However, if doing this, then I would highly recommend fitting new studs and nuts.
The price of the solid copper gasket 1A180SC is £35 each to club members and they are available for immediate dispatch
Ray Dawes, Spares Secretary
Another technical article for you all – this time provided by Spares Secretary Ray Dawes. This one is a reproduction of an old Austin Service Journal and relates to all important torque wrench settings and static ignition timing settings for our cars and commercials.
As with other technical items it can be found on our Technical Articles page.
If you’ve ever struggled to removed the unusual octagonal hub nuts on the rear axles of some of our cars, Membership Secretary Mike Greasby may have found a tool to help – as detailed on our ‘Technical Articles’ page.
Mike has found a suitable spanner, and has advised that Spares Secretary Ray Dawes is considering adding these to the club’s spares catalogue.