- @alex_house Please try the email for Peter Simmonds on the 'Contact Us' page. email@example.com 12:36:24 PM May 17, 2016 from Twitter Web Client in reply to alex_house ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @alex_house Contact us via the club's website ( https://t.co/K2iAPLFJF7 ) and we will be more than happy to try and help. 11:19:24 AM May 17, 2016 from Twitter Web Client in reply to alex_house ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @POLcomheritage Just to confirm, the Pride of Longbridge rally is definitely cancelled, as would like to avoid unnecessary travel? Thanks! 06:58:34 AM April 16, 2016 from Twitter Web Client in reply to POLcomheritage ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @AustinCounties first day at the @practicalclassicsrestoration show https://t.co/ca3BglT0xE 10:18:35 AM March 05, 2016 from Twitter for iPhone in reply to AustinCounties ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Eve of the Practical Classics Restoration at the NEC. Come see our stand in Hall 9 stand 465! 09:21:04 PM March 04, 2016 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ClassicMotorNEC: Our sister show @NECRestoShow is in FIVE weeks! Get advance tickets here: https://t.co/z2aTMJikoc #ClassicCars https:/… 07:28:39 PM February 15, 2016 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ClassicMotorNEC: Hey #BrumHour. 5 & 6 March Our sister show @NECRestoShow comes to #Birmingham Tickets here: https://t.co/z2aTMJikoc ht… 09:45:39 PM January 30, 2016 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Final day for the ACCC stand @ClassicMotorNEC https://t.co/XicMaXwYTE 11:25:37 AM November 15, 2015 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Getting busier on the ACCC stand 4-592 @ClassicMotorNEC https://t.co/V7eLP2DSsO 01:04:26 PM November 14, 2015 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Lots of interest in @davewhy A40 Sports here at #NECClassic https://t.co/COHYhlofAV 11:55:15 AM November 14, 2015 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
Calendar of Posted Items
September 2017 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
A good few Rally applications forms have already been received but please do not leave it to the deadline date as until we have some idea as to the final numbers, the detailed planning of the event cannot be completed. If you are only attending on the Sunday would you kindly still return the form as the final rally package will be dispatched to all registered participants by Friday 9th June. The package will include the car bumper plaque, the Saturday drive route and a list of the registered cars and drivers. Cars other than ‘Counties’ models are very welcome to attend the Rally and at the prizegiving there will be an award for the best ‘visiting’ car. Again, return of the form with details of the car would be helpful.
The informal meal on Friday 23th June will be at the Tavistock Pub, 117, Tavistock Road, Bedford, MK40 2SB which is about a 15 minute walk from the Park Inn. The Tavistock offers a good selection of menus from typical pub food to a carvery.
The drive on Saturday will commence at Twinwood 1940s Museum at 10.00pm where morning coffee/tea facilities are available. The Museum is at Twinwood Road, Clapham, Bedfordfordshire, MK42 6AB.
The club will be advising the Tavistock and the Park Inn regarding numbers etc. for the meals on Friday and Saturday. Please do not try to book meals direct otherwise you may find yourself allocated a table away from other Club members.
We look forward to seeing as many members as possible over what will be a very interesting weekend
Dennis Robinson, Colin Shales, Ian Nelson
Please note – I should have included this in ‘County Counsel’ issue 250, which should be landing on your doorstep around about now – it was inadvertently missed – my apologies to the rally organisers for the omission – Pete Simmonds.
Spares Secretary Ray Dawes has now updated the club’s Spares Booklet, to reflect our current range of spares available to members.
A printed copy of the updated list will be delivered to members with the next magazine – which is currently at the printer for distribution.
To order spares, please complete a spares order form.
As featured previously, the Mintex-sponsored recreation of the ‘Seven Capitals in Seven Days’ 1947 good will run originally undertaken by Alan Hess and his team with 3 Austin Sixteens, is now underway, with motoring journalist Guy Loveridge at the wheel of a recently-restored Sixteen.
The tour has begun with a ferry crossing to Holland, then a drive to Copenhagen – the closest available route to the original since the ferry crossing from Newcastle to Stavanger no longer exists.
You can find regular updates to the team’s progress at: https://www.facebook.com/MintexGoodwillTour2017/
This year’s ‘Barn Days’ will be as follows, taking place at the club’s Used Spares barn in Bedfordshire:
Saturday 20th May
Saturday 23rd September
Members interested in participating should contact club Used Spares Rep. Graham Potts.
The club’s spares service will be suspended between the following dates, due to other commitments on my part:
29th January – 15th February
17th March – 3rd April
Ray Dawes, Spares Secretary
The club will once again have a stand at this year’s Practical Classics Classic Car and Restoration Show.
A code to allow purchase of discounted tickets will be included in a leaflet advertising the show sent with the next issue of ‘County Counsel’, out in February.
You can find the 2017 Membership Renewal Form here, (If you want a copy in MS Word, try here) and the 2017 New Membership Form here (Word copy here). You will also be receiving a paper copy of the Renewal Form with the next (Nov/Dec 2016) issue of ‘County Counsel’, which should (hopefully!) be with you just before Christmas.
We’re keen that members tell us as much about their vehicles as possible, so if you’re lucky enough to own more than one Austin then you can find an ‘additional vehicle’ form here .
Tip – if you’re using the ‘pdf’ versions of these forms, if you download the latest Adobe Reader software (Adobe Reader DC) here you can type your details into the pdf form and save it to your device. You can then email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be forwarded to our membership secretary.
I was recently advised by our supplier that the manufacturer (the only one known) of A40 head gaskets, has advised that that the tooling for making these is beyond its serviceable use and they will therefore not supply any more. They also declined to make new tooling.
Together with the supplier we have now commissioned new tooling and an initial order from an overseas supplier. We were unable to find any alternative to this for a copper and board gasket. This has resulted in a considerable investment by the club.
The price of the copper and board gasket (1A180) from 1st November 2016 will be £30 each to club members.
A number of members have written about the success they have had with solid copper head gaskets.
We have now also had a small batch of these made. They are made from soft copper and are ready to fit. I am also advised that they can be reused after removing from the engine provided that they are annealed before refitting. They have been made by a water jet cutting process so are accurate and have nice clean edges.
It may be possible to torque these down higher value than the normal 40ft/lb value, say 5 to 10 ft/lb more. However, if doing this, then I would highly recommend fitting new studs and nuts.
The price of the solid copper gasket 1A180SC is £35 each to club members and they are available for immediate dispatch
Ray Dawes, Spares Secretary
I’ve noted that quite a few members have registered for the ‘new’ forums, but that relatively few have posted to them. Following a chat with a club member yesterday, it seems that this may be because the ‘Log in’ section of the home page was right at the bottom of the page, and thus not readily visible.
I’ve now duplicated the ‘Log in’ section at the top right of the page, so if you’ve registered (follow ‘Forums’, ‘Register’ to do so) you should be able to log in and enter comments and question within the new forum(s).